Saturday, 27 August 2011

46 Momths

Holiday!!  Celebration!! 
This is the first time in the history of having kids that we got to go away on a holiday!!  Yes we have had week long trips to Grammy and Papa's house but this was away away.  This was long drives, hotels, airplanes and different country away.  This wasn't going out of town, this was going on an adventure!!
It started with a packing up the car and driving to Buffalo.  Passports in hand......I don't think your passport pictures could be any cuter

I just wanna kiss those faces!!
 From there we checked into a funny hotel.  I say funny because it was full of fake plants, gilded gold crap and endless terrible was weird really....but clean and friendly....and had 2 weeks free parking for over night guests.  There was a huge salt water fish tank in the lobby which you guys loved.  It was full of brightly coloured fish including Nemo, Dory and "WORMFISH", a long skinny white, worm fish really, with black dots.  It kinda freaked me a swimming tape worm...blech
On the shuttle bus
The night in the hotel wasn't totally successful but also not a total bust.  None of us slept very well.  After a nap deprived, excitement fulled day leaving home we thought that you two would crash at the hotel but at 10 pm we were all laying in the dark watching cartoons.  Finally you three fell asleep and I stayed up reading for a while which was a bad mistake because you guy were up by 6.  Tired, delirious and looking forward to a long long day we went down for the 'continental' breakfast which you guys were way to excited to eat. Besides there was a machine that made you a mini pancake if you pushed the green pancake button!! And who can resist pushing a 'pancake button'?  Even I had to have a couple of tries at the machine knowing full well that I wasn't going to eat any of the pancakes that came out the other side. A lot more pancakes were made then eaten....A LOT 30ish. Once breakfast was done Big Daddy took you guys upstairs and I cleaned up our table, tried to repair the blinds and hid pancakes.
The excitement was too much and the rest of the morning before our 11 am shuttle to the airport went something like this -  3 temper tantrums before 8am, breaking the blinds in the hotel restaurant, didn't really eat your breakfast and 2 more tantrums by 8:30, flashing me getting out of the shower to hotel guests in the hall, unpacking the suitcase I just packed, loosing toys at the hotel (which I later found) hurting yourself on the luggage cart, one peed pair of pants, opening up suitcase that was just repacked to find clean pants, meltdown in lobby waiting for shuttle..........we then got to the airport and after the fiasco that is security now (although I have to say that the express lanes for people traveling with small children are FANTASTIC) shoes off x 4, belt off x 2, computer out, meds out that can't go through x-ray (I took a couple of emergency homeopathics), car seats partially dismantled, getting two 3 year olds through the x-ray machine in a timely fashion, shoes on x 4, belts on x 2, computer away, put car seats back together and wait for them to thoroughly inspect the meds before returning them to me.....this all with a line up of people behind us.  We get to the gate to find out that our plane is going to be at least an hour delayed.  Luckily there are a bunch of other kids on the flight so you guys make fast friends. In the end our flight was delayed by almost 2 hours making our connection really tight.  When we arrived we found that our next flight was at the other end of the enormous airport so we ran and ran and ran and ran and missed the flight.  delta put us on 'priority standby', whatever that means, for the next flight.  We had two hours to waste.  We were hot sweaty and had 4 suitcase, two car seats, a back pack and a purse to carry,  We decided to go to the airport TGI Fridays.
Our napless day continued with the flight from Atlanta to Asheville, waiting forever for our one piece of checked luggage, an airport shuttle to the car rental site, a bit of a wait while they set us up in the car (we were very lucky and got a great upgrade), the installation of the car seats and then the hour and a half long drive up the mountain.  It was after 10 pm when we finally left Asheville and were on the road.  You kids were doing surprisingly ok but you could tell that the drive was going to be ugly.  20 minutes in you had had enough of traveling and exhausted tears started.  We pulled into the driveway close to midnight and you were wailing.  Gabe, you had peed and soaked your car seat I guess during one of the brief sleeps along the way.  We cleaned you guys up and got you to bed.  I could almost hear the crashing noise of you guys falling asleep.  The rest of us weren't far behind.
It was a great holiday.  Really busy but so much fun.  
There are a few other things that happened this month that are worth mentioning
Bea you love stickers. If I give you a sheet of them you carefully peel them off and sticks them to a piece of by one..all right on top of each other until there is a thick stack which you carefully peel up and gently throws in the are weird
Bea I gave you Daddys hermonica to play with one day.  We got to listen to every breath you took for a week through that thing.  You would only put it down to eat.
One day you told me that your cheeks were killing you, from smiling, and now you needsa little break.
You informed me one day while on holiday when I was in the tub that "you better wash your boobies first or Daddy will be mad".
Gabe, my little boy is growing up. Today you pooped, wiped your bum and flushed all by yourself. Picked out your clothes, dressed yourself (no underwear and shorts are on backwards but good enough) and called me an idiot (thank you toy story 3).
One day you were mad that I was laughing at you and you told me to 'stop smiling your face'
We talk occasionally to you about 'when you get bigger'. Today you told me about when I get smaller

As always I can't tell you enough how much you amaze me and how truly blessed I am to get to be your Mama

I love you more every day

No comments: